About Me

My photo
Wife, Mom, Maid, Cook, Referee, Taxi....I live the good life!

Blog Archive


Easton is the cutest little boy we know! He rightfully earned the nickname 'BEASTY' when he was a baby and it has stuck with him. He is such a sweet little mommy's boy and we are ALL at his Beck and call. Easton loves cars, snacks, and playing outside. He is talking up a storm and it seems like he learns something new every single day. He is at such a fun age. We LOVE LOVE LOVE this little guy!


Ainslee is the baby and she just turned ONE!! This child is a handful!!! She hasn't quite grown out of the difficult phase.....that she has been in since she was born, but we still find ways to find her sweet side! Hearing her baby giggles and watching her discover & learn new things make all the whininess......just a little easier to deal with. Aaaahhh, we love this Ainslee Girl!!


Oh our cute little Avery! With her blue eyes & blonde hair, she is one of the cutest 4 year olds around!! This girl is stubborn! She definitely keeps us on our toes. She is quite unpredictable, which makes for a lot of laughs! Avery is our TREAT-FREAK! We can always guess what is on her mind. My favorite thing about Avery is her smiles. She always has one for us no matter what and that makes everyones day just a little better. She attends preschool and says she doesn't like it, but secretly we know she does ;). We are so lucky to have this cute girl in our family! We can't get enough of her.

Kobe Dylan

Kobe Dylan
Kobe is our first child, born in 2004. He was 4 months early and weighed a whopping 1 lb. 4 oz.! We got to be with Kobe for 4 wonderful weeks. I feel so blessed to have been chosen to raise one of God's perfect children. We love him and thank Heavenly Father everyday that he is part of our family. We have a treasure in heaven.
Powered by Blogger.

Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones


Quinnie just turned 6! She is growing faster than we can keep up with! She loves going to first grade and is doing really well! She picks up on things very quickly and LOVES learning. She's seriously a sponge. Her favorite thing to do is write notes and draw pictures for her friends & family. You should see our continual stack of papers. Quinnlyn is creative & spunky & totally independant. We love her like crazy!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Put this on the list…..

…….of something I NEVER want to experience again (along with natural labor)!!

Here’s the SHORT story:

Easton Overdosed on Acetaminophen & had to stay in the hospital for 1 1/2 days. He got tortured by many failed attempts to collect blood samples, had an IV for a day, & was such a good boy. He is fine now & his liver is too.


Here is the LONG story:

Thursday morning Brett put Easton down for his morning nap (9:30). He was still whining in his room at 10:00 when I went upstairs to get into the shower. At 10:30 I went in to his room because he was still making noise. When I looked in his crib, I saw Acetaminophen Gelcaps strewn ALL OVER,  and some of them had been sucked on. So we walked downstairs to see who gave him the Bottle of medicine. Come to find out, Avery was trying to be helpful so she gave Easton the ‘shaker’ (pill bottle) so he would stop crying during his naptime.

EastyHospital12We weren’t mad….but we let her know she couldn’t give him things without us knowing. I called poison control and they told us we should go to the ER just to make sure he didn’t swallow any. So we went. We got there at 1:00 & they took us right back…..overdose must be a TRUE EMERGENCY….I’ve never been seen in the ER so quickly.

(Picture: trying to eat a cracker without bending his IV arm)

So the doctor came in and told us they would be taking a blood sample to check the Acetaminophen level in his blood, but she said most likely he didn’t swallow any because most babies spit them out because they don’t taste good. I, on the other hand, wasn’t too convinced because he can eat anything and not choke or gag. Plus, the gelcaps were tasteless, & slippery so he could have swallowed them with no problems.

At 2:30, a nurse came in to get the sample. She tried on theEastyHospital5 top of his foot… luck----he was SCREAMING. So they sent down 2 NICU nurses who each tried in both wrists… luck----he was SCREAMING. So they sent down someone from peds who tried in his arm… luck. So she decided to do a heel prick and just squeeze the blood out to fill up the tube. She had to prick both heels and it took at least 10 minutes to fill up the stupid tube (she spilled it twice)----Easton was SCREAMING & I was crying. She finally got enough to send to the lab & Easton immediately fell asleep. It was so hard to hold him down everytime they tried to get blood. I can handle once or twice, but I can’t handle seeing them dig around for several minutes while my baby is shaking his head no & screaming like I have never heard before! His sad eyes would just look at us like: “Why aren’t you saving me??? You’re right there! Just pick me up”. It was so awful.

(picture: playing with dad)

EastyHospital7At 6:00 PM the PA came in and told us his Acetaminophen level was at 100. He said 10 is okay for a baby. That doesn’t tell us how many pills he swallowed, just that he did indeed swallow them, & he was in Over-dose. So the next step was to re-check his levels. If they were going down fast enough, that was good & they would just watch them until they were low enough. If they weren’t going down very quickly, he would need to take and antidote of Acetylcisteine (IV injection (Asist,Parvolex, Acetadote) – treatment of paracetamol/acetaminophen overdose) to protect his liver. So at 6:30 the peds lady came back in to torture my baby. She poked him in his arm and got it pretty quickly. The results showed that his levels weren’t going down fast enough. So he needed the Antidote.

At 8:00 a NICU nurse came in to start an IV. So here we goEastyHospital6 again! Luckily, she got it on the first try. Brett & his friend gave Easton a blessing & then Brett left to go get the girls from my friend who had been watching them all day. They started a 60 minute dose of Acetylcisteine through the IV and we found out he would be admitted to the hospital because he needed to have a continuous drip of the antidote for the next 24 hours.  UGH!

We finally moved from the ER up to the pediatric unit at 11:00 pm. I got Easton asleep and finally laid down at 12:30. Unfortunately, they check on children every hour so it wasn’t a great night for either of us.

The next day we just hung out. We did have one incident where I let Easton crawl around the room for a minute(I know…..gross, but he was desperate to get down and play) and he pulled his IV apart. He was bleeding all over. Thankfully he didn’t pull the catheter out of his vein so it was easily reattached. I was so happy that we didn’t have to poke him again.EastyHospital11 (picture: watching a movie with dad)

Brett came to the hospital that afternoon so I could run home, shower, & take a little nap. I got back to the hospital at 5:00 pm and at 6:00pm we had to get lab work done again. He got poked on the top of his wrist twice… luck and in his other arm…..success! I didn’t cry this time, but he did Winking smile.

At 7:00pm we found out his Acetaminophen level was below one (yippee) and his liver function looked good. WE WERE GOING HOME!!!!

Easton got to ride in a wagon out to our car & he LOVED it! EastyHospitalEastyHospital1He just sat back & smiled the whole time. It was so cute. We were home by about 8:30pm & couldn’t have been happier!

It was amazing how well-behaved Easton was during this whole incident! He sat on our laps & didn’t really pull at his IV, & was just a happy little guy (minus the blood sample torturing). It was definitely a blessing because I don’t know how we would have handled him if he was being his regular self. EastyHospital3

(picture: No more IV!!!)

 I never want to have to do that again! We sure love our little Easty & were so happy to have him home with us safe & sound!!



Dave and Natasha said...

Oh my gosh! Poor little guy! I wanted to cry for him just reading about it! I had to take Jack to the ER the other day and just getting his blood pressure and stuff was traumatizing and I wanted to cry for him! I'm glad he's okay!

the Corbin Clan said...

That's so scary! I'm glad he is all better now!

Jenalee said...

So glad he's okay.

Gwenevere said...

I totally feel ya! Once is too many trips to the ER. But now I know I can add overdose to the list of urgent care issues. Respiratory distress and hair tourniquets will get you right backto. The wagon tells me you went to Riley-good job!

Megan said...

Scary! I know I'll be in the ER at some point with my kiddo, I just don't want to...

Side note - your hair is long! I love it!

Bethany said...

I am so happy he is okay. Sad for the torture you had to go through. I remember when Kennedy was a year old and had to have blood drawn to rule out some things and it was HORRIBLE! He is so cute, the first picture of him almost made me cry though seeing him in a hospital gown just isn't right.
Hope Avery doesn't have too much guilt. We love you guys!

Rach said...

poor little guy. Glad everything turned out okay

Clenece said...

How scary!!! I am so sorry to hear about this! Sorry they had such a hard time getting his blood...I am so glad everything turned out well so quickly!